by Dave Spencer, FightNews Canada
It was the shot heard round the boxing world Saturday night; super-lightweight Pier-Olivier Cote, a virtual unknown to even the most ardent of fans, hit a homerun on Showtime Championship Boxing, the echoes that are still reverberating days later.
Cote was given a rare chance for a relative newcomer to showcase his talents on the specialty channel's premiere vehicle and delivered by scoring with a scintilating left hook that obliterated Jorge Luis Teron at the :33 second mark of the second round and upstaging headliner Lucian Bute who was making the 9th defense of his IBF super-middleweight belt. Cote who moved to 18-0 with his 12th knockout actually made his pro debut back when Bute was making the very first defense of his title in 2008 and has seen a steady rise of his stock ever since.
"That was a perfect shot, that was a shot we practiced for ten weeks," Cote's trainer Francois Duguay told Fightnews Sunday morning.
Cote was also not surprisingly pleased with the way things unfolded Saturday night, fighting in his hometown in front of over 15,000 very very loud spectators. "I imagined that moment for a long time but it was a lot better to live it and feel it live. The combination that I threw to end the fight, I wasn't conscious of it, but at the end when I did the interview and saw the replay, that was the exact combination that we had been practicing." That combination, a jab followed by a right to the body and a left hook upstairs obliterated what was left of Teron after Cote charged out of the gates, banging his gloves together twice before unleashing a furious right-left chin combo than flattened the unsuspecting visitor like a locomotive to start the round.
"I didn't think I'd stop him that early in the fight," said Cote, "I just went by instinct and let go my hands, maybe I was playing with fire a little bit, but it worked well."
Cote who began his career at 128 pounds seems content at settling at 140 pounds where, if nothing else, he seems plenty strong. "Never want to go back to 135," said Cote who weighed in at exactly 140 that gianed him an IBF Intercontinental belt. "I have much more energy at 140."
Promoter Jean Bedard was also impressed by the 27 year-olds performance and expects big hings in the year ahead. "We made a big step last night," said Bedard, "Based on the phone cals and meassages I got this morning, I think we can look for something really interesting for Pier-Olivier in 2012, and that's exciting for us." With 18 fights under his belt and still needing more fights than Lucian Bute's current pace, it seems now that Interboxe may be ready to headline the powerhouse that brought the house down. "I've already had calls to use him 6 weeks and from Top Rank wanting him in Vegas. Him fighting is not an issue right now, the issue will be what kind of step we want to take for the next fight. He certainly won"t have problems having fights. We have the possibility of making a final on a ShoBox show because he has the package and now he's already fought on Championship Boxing and did very well, so the future looks good, but we have to take it step by step."
If you wish to contact the author of this article, email Dave Spencer at FightNews Canada